Search This Blog

Monday, July 8, 2013

It's not about killing

It seems today that so many people don't understand the truth about hunting. So many progressive animal activist groups out there today try to portray today's hunter as an assassin salivating at the thought of bringing pain and death to all animals in the world and killing every creature that moves. I must say, this couldn't be further from the truth. I saw around 25 deer last hunting season, guess how many I shot..........0. Hunting season brings with it so much more than the legal opportunity to harvest meat for the freezer. It brings with it the changes of the season, the chance to teach a young child about the outdoors, about the respect that all firearms should be treated with, about the unique freedoms we have in this country that we should never take for granted. There is a saying I have heard that discusses hunting and I think it sums the entire thing up in a perfect way, "It's not what you hunt or where you hunt, but who you hunt with, that matters". It's about family, friends and the great outdoors ladies and gentlemen, that's it. Bringing home a big buck or your daily limit of partridge is excellent and I look forward to it every year but I can tell you without question I have just as much fun at hunting camp on the trips I come home empty handed. Being in the woods is good for any person to reflect on their life and get away from the constant noise caused by work, bills and the unfortunately busy lives that we have all created for ourselves. Being at camp staying up late telling stories and laughing with my family and friends is not only fun but it is actually good for me. It replenishes me and it brings my soul back to a state which I wish it could be at 24/7. If you are a person who doesn't like hunting, or who hates firearms I think you should take one small step, be open minded and visit a friend who goes on a hunting trip for a day. Swing in after a days hunt for a drink, a little food and for some story telling because that is the best part about hunting camp. I along with any of my hunting family would be glad to take you out in the woods for a day, whether you want to go hunting, fishing, for a hike, or just take a drive down a dirt road to possibly get a picture of a moose eating in a swamp. We love the outdoors, but most of all we love people and think that there is no greater gift than to get someone interested in the outdoors lifestyle. If you want to take a trip outside some time and want someone to come along with you PLEASE don't hesitate to call, text, email, facebook or whatever because I assure you, I will be there to give you whatever advice or outdoor lessons I possibly can. 

Until next time, shoot straight and shoot often.

No comments:

Post a Comment